Sunday, June 10, 2012

feeling beachy

Even though people keep talking about how it's winter here, I don't believe them. Besides the chilly wind, I'm in full-on summer mode. Classes are over, the sun's out, and I've been hanging out at beaches. 


I spent the past couple weekends on the Wellington's rocky coast. It's not such a great spot for tea parties, because the wind blows the lettuce off your sandwiches and makes the tea go cold really quickly.
(Thank goodness chocolate's too heavy to blow away)

But it is a terrific spot for taking pictures...
and going on hikes to see the Red Rocks again...
saying hello to the South Island...
eating at nautical-themed cafés...
and climbing around on rocks.


If you take a short ferry trip across Wellington's harbor, you can even go hang out on a tiny island for the day.
 Provided you agree to some manual labor
and bring along a pair of fuzzy glittens.


But tomorrow I'm off to see some real beaches (by myself - eep! - because everybody else is busy taking finals or going to Australia with their parents).

I've booked a few bus tickets to go around the Northernmost tip of New Zealand - creatively dubbed Northland and supposedly the warmest, driest part of the country. I'm flying in to Auckland tomorrow and heading to Paihia, Raglan, and the Coromandel from there. My bag's all packed and ready to go - with a raincoat and a fuzzy hat shoved inside just in case.

No comments:

Post a Comment